|3DGE, Hyper3DGE, Dream3DGE|
|Developer(s)||Coraline (Chu), Alex Nesemann, Joseph Fenton, Rachael Alexanderson (Eruanna), Brendan Doe, Damir Srpčič|
|Non-Developer(s)||Chris Mullen (CeeJay), UsernameAK, gameblabla, Andrew Apted, Josh Pearson, Benjamin Moir|
|Written in||C++, QuakeC (modified), ASM|
|Target Platform||Windows, KallistiOS, MacOSX, Linux|
|License||GNU General Public License v2+|
As well as adding new features, the team also incorporated many fixes for overlooked bugs left behind from EDGE. The name is a deliberate play on EDGE - the "3" is to symbolize the third line of continuation from EDGE and DOSDoom, and is pronounced the same as EDGE. The port is hardware-accelerated only, and also implements support for KallistiGL (PowerVR) for the Dreamcast platform.
A few notable mods in development are Duke it Out in DOOM and Template:Dwforums, both by Chris Mullen (CeeJay), and a sequel to the Marc A. Pullen (Fanatic) mod QDOOM. SLaVE and Hypertension: Harmony of Darkness are two commercial products using this engine, both being developed by Isotope Softworks and published by Goat Store Publishing. The full list of known and active mods are here.
Dream3DGE was a Sega Dreamcast-only port of EDGE 1.29, and has high compatibility with pre-1.31 mods, as it cannot currently run anything created with EDGE 1.31 or above. It must be built with KallistOS. It contains most, if not all, functionality from the parent port. This branch (and EDGE 1.29, on which it was based) was abandoned officially and rewritten and integrated back into 3DGE with version 2.0. The Dreamcast code utilities KallistiGL instead of OpenGL for important rendering functions concerning the SH-4 CPU.
As of the development builds for v2.1.0:
- Dual OpenGL 1.x/2.1 Renderer
- SDL2 Integration
- UDMF support
- PAK/PK3/PK7 Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement
- Rendering interpolation
- OPL synth playback
- Basic Shadows
- Several major and minor bugs squashed from EDGE 1.35
- Heretic/Chex IWAD support
- MD5 Model Support
- 2 player splitscreen co-op or deathmatch (local only)
- RoQ video support for cinematics
- Runs on the Sega Dreamcast console.
- GLSL Post-processing effects
- Normal/Spec/Brightmap support on models
- DDF/RTS enhancements and bugfixes
- PolyObjects (available in the latest devbuilds, more types will be supported in the future)
- Normal/Spec/Brightmap support on textures
- True Inventory Support
- Camera-Man Script: New scripting language which allows the engine to utilize spline-based cameras for in-engine cutscene and complete camera control, also linked through COAL.
- Dynamic Planar Shadow System for Dynamic Lights
- Half-Life MDL and MS3D Model Format Support
- Quake 3: Arena-style shader-based sky system
- Better BOOM Compatibility
- Decals on all surfaces
- Wolfenstein 3D support (WLF_*)
- Rise of the Triad support (ROTT_*)
- Blake Stone support (BLK_*)
- Strife IWAD
Heretic support is being finalized and is in beta as of 3DGE/Version, using a similarly named definition file called HDF (Heretic Definition File). The HDF definitions were written initially by CeeJay, before the 3DGE Team took over to write proper IWAD support.
- Official 3DGE project site
- 3DGE source release packages, hosted by SourceForge
- 3DGE git repository, hosted by github
- Compiled SVN builds for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Dreamcast at DRD Team
|Source code genealogy|