An IWAD - short for Internal WAD - is the main resource file for a Doom-engine game, containing all the game's original sounds, levels, and graphics. EDGE needs an IWAD file in order to play; without one the EDGE engine has no game data to use.
- Some file names are links to a page on the
where you will find checksums for known versions of the concerned file.
- Some files have conflicting names; EDGE provides you with possible aliases. Note that an IWAD is actually identified by its content rather than its name. Also, any archive format supported by EDGE can technically be an IWAD.
Game Name File name File aliases Notes and download links Doom (Registered) doom.wad The Ultimate Doom doom.wad doomu.wad Doom "BFG Edition" doom.wad bfgdoom.wad, doombfg.wad Doom 3: BFG Edition— — Part of Doom II doom2.wad Doom II "BFG Edition" doom2.wad bfgdoom2.wad, doom2bfg.wad Doom 3: BFG Edition; also loads nerve.wad— — Part of Final Doom — TNT: Evilution tnt.wad Final Doom — The Plutonia Experiment plutonia.wad French Doom II doom2f.wad No longer sold;for the original English version. Heretic (Registered or Commercial) heretic.wad hereticsr.wad Chex Quest chex.wad No longer sold, originally distributed in cereal boxes. Rise of the Triad darkwar.wad EDGE is the only DOOM engine that can read and support Rise of the Triad: Dark War.
Game Name File name File aliases Notes and download links Doom (Shareware) doom1.wad Heretic (Shareware) heretic1.wad File:MiniFreedoomLogo.png Freedoom: Phase 1 freedoom1.wad freedoomu.wad Official site Freedoom: Phase 2 freedoom2.wad freedoom.wad Official site FreeDM freedm.wad Official site File:MiniChex3LogoIcon.png Chex Quest 3 chex3.wad Official site File:MiniHacxLogoIcon.png Hacx v1.2 hacx.wad Official site Hacx v2.0 hacx.wad hacx2.wad WIP download thread
In addition to them, some "total conversion"-type mods can be played as their own IWAD; however since they are not detected as such by EDGE, you need to use the -iwad command line parameter.
In order to play a custom level designed for any of the above games you have to have that particular game's full IWAD (loading PWAD with shareware, demo or teaser versions is disabled). If you do not have the necessary IWAD, or if you have an old, unpatched version of the IWAD in question, you might experience undefined behavior. (But often old versions are accepted too.)
The IWAD file(s) should be placed in a directory where EDGE will find them. This includes the same directory as the EDGE executable, as well as those pointed to by the DOOMWADDIR environment variable. On Linux, the directories $HOME/.EDGE and /usr/local/share are checked by default.
As noted above, some IWADs can be downloaded freely; however most "full" games are not and must be bought from one of the following sources:
- This store offers downloadable versions of Ultimate Doom, Doom II: Hell on Earth (bundled with Final Doom and the Master Levels for Doom II), and Strife. The Final Doom version offered is the later Anthology version, which fixes many mapping errors (such as the infamous missing key in TNT MAP31).
- This store offers downloadable versions of Ultimate Doom, Doom II: Hell on Earth, Final Doom, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Hexen: Beyond Heretic, Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, and Strife; as well as the Master Levels for Doom II which is a set of PWAD, not an IWAD.
- Warning: following the release of Doom 3: BFG Edition, the Master Levels are no longer available to purchase individually but can be bought as part of the Doom Classic Complete Pack.
- Note: The version of Hexen: Death Kings available on Steam is not patched. You need to download and apply the Death Kings 1.1 patch first. (The "readme.txt" file it tries to patch has been renamed readme-dk.txt by Steam, but is not important.) All other IWADs from Steam are fully patched.
- Amazon.com, eBay.com, etc.
- Second-hand copies of the original games can be found on such sites.
- Flea markets, used-games bins in brick-and-mortar stores, etc.
- It's mostly a matter of luck, but they can still sometimes be found this way.
EDGE is currently working on the ability to define any WAD/distro/archive as an IWAD or IPK (IwadPacKage) - currently this is only available by using the -iwad switch.