|3DGE, Hyper3DGE, Dream3DGE|
|Developer(s)||Corbin. A, Josh Pearson, Damir Srpčič, Antoine Henry|
|Non-Developer(s)||Chris Mullen (CeeJay), Gameblabla, Alex Nesemann, Joseph Fenton|
|Written in||C++, Lua, ASM|
|Target Platform||Windows, KallistiOS, Cross-Platform|
|License||GNU General Public License v2+|
As well as adding new features, the team also incorporated fixes to a few bugs left behind from EDGE. The name is a play on EDGE - the "3" is to symbolize the third line of continuation from EDGE and DOSDoom. The port is hardware-accelerated only, and also implements support for KallistiGL (PowerVR).
A few notable mods in development are Abrasion by Kronos (utilizing the MD3 code), Doom Forever by Chris Mullen (CeeJay), and a sequel to the Marc A. Pullen (Fanatic) mod QDOOM. SLaVE and Hypertension: Harmony of Darkness are two commercial products using this engine, both being developed by Isotope Softworks and published by Goat Store Publishing.
Dream3DGE is a Sega Dreamcast-only port of EDGE 1.29, and has high compatibility with pre-1.31 mods, as it cannot currently run anything created with EDGE 1.31 or above. It must be built with KallistOS. It contains most, if not all, functionality from the parent port. This branch (and EDGE 1.29, on which it was based) was abandoned officially and rewritten and integrated back into 3DGE with version 1.37. The Dreamcast code utilities KallistiGL instead of OpenGL for important rendering functions concerning the SH2 CPU.
- All EDGE 1.35 features
- Rendering interpolation
- Several important bugs squashed
- Heretic/Chex IWAD support
- MD5 Model Support
- MD3/MD5/MDL model support
- 2 player splitscreen co-op or deathmatch (local only)
- RoQ video support for cinematics
- Runs on the Sega Dreamcast console, based on a modified EDGE 1.29.
- Post-processing effects
- DDF enhancements and additions
- OpenGL 2.0 renderer upgrade with support for normal, specular, and bump maps on all surfaces.
- New Dynamic Light and Shadows system
- New scripting language SPLINE, which allows the engine to utilize spline-based cameras for everything
- Quake 3: Arena-style shader-based sky system
- Fragglescript support
- Simple Shadows for sprites (separate from the model-based shadows)
- Additional 3D model support (MS3D, DMD, IQM, PSA/PSK)
Heretic support is being written and is in beta as of 1.36E, using a similarly named definition file called HDF (Heretic Definition File). The HDF definitions in whole were provided by CeeJay.
|Source code genealogy|